Experiencing America: A Smithsonian Tour Through American History DVD + Free Guidebook
Explore the rich, visual history of the United States in 24 must-experience lectures in Experiencing America: A Smithsonian Tour through American History DVD. Your eminent instructor is Dr. Richard Kurin, Smithsonian Under Secretary for History, Art and Culture. His unique approach shares the unexpected stories revealed by some of the Smithsonian’s most iconic American artifacts. From George Washington’s sword to the Star Spangled Banner and from Harriet Tubman’s hymnal to the space shuttle Discovery, Experiencing America: A Smithsonian Tour through American History could not be more riveting or more approachable.
A collaboration between The Great Courses and the Smithsonian Institution, Experiencing America: A Smithsonian Tour through American History is an educational experience you may feel compelled to binge watch. The companion Free Guidebook includes a 272-page course synopsis, portraits and literature, list of featured objects, suggested readings and bibliography.
1. The Star-Spangled Banner—Inspiring the Anthem
2. Presidents and Generals—Images of Leadership
3. Conscience and Conflict—Religious History
4. The Growth and Spread of Slavery
5. Emancipation and the Civil War
6. Gold, Guns, and Grandeur—The West
7. The First Americans—Then and Now
8. Planes, Trains, Automobiles … and Wagons
9. Communications—From Telegraph to Television
10. Immigrant Dreams and Immigrant Struggles
11. User Friendly—Democratizing Technology
12. Extinction and Conservation
13. Kitty Hawk to Tranquility—Innovation and Flight
14. Cold War—Red Badges, Bombs, and the Berlin Wall
15. National Tragedy—Maine, Pearl Harbor, 9/11
16. For the Greater Good—Public Health
17. Women Making History
18. The Power of Portraits
19. Two Centuries of American Style
20. Hollywood—The American Myth Machine
21. The Hope Diamond—America’s Crown Jewel
22. Sing Out for Justice—American Music
23. Exploring the Land, Exploring the Universe
24. “All Men Are Created Equal”—Civil Rights
Every object explored in this great 24-lecture series, Experiencing America: A Smithsonian Tour through American History—from a revolutionary war uniform to the Star Spangled Banner and the Hope Diamond—is curated by the Smithsonian Institution.
Every Smithsonian purchase will arrive with a museum provenance card explaining how it is adapted from or inspired by an object or objects in our collection.
View Size Chart